PADI Assistant Instructor Course
We recently completed a PADI Assistant Instructor Course for our very own Johnny Ashwin.
Johnny, who returned for a second season as part of the Latchi Dive Team. Completed the 5-day course and we all found it a great deal of fun. The PADI Assistant Instructor Course consists of instructor-led classroom presentations along with practical teaching workshops. Johnny did a superb job on. Have a look at his own write-up of his course experience.
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course is the first step to becoming a PADI Instructor. PADI offers 2 different options to put you on the path to become a PADI Instructor, you have the Assistant Instructor Course which then leaves you with just the Open Water Scuba Instructor program to complete or you can complete both courses at the same time in what is known as the Instructor Development Course.
Latchi Watersports is currently able to offer PADI training from beginner to Assistant Instructor level, however over the next few weeks we will be upgrading our dive centre status, so we will then be able to offer all levels of Instructor training including specialty instructor ratings along with IDC Staff Instructor training courses. Please keep checking back for more information about this.
Below is an in-depth look at what is included in the PADI Assistant Instructor Course along with what the rating allows you to do
Assistant Instructor Course Prerequisites:
- Dive Leader certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization who is either:
- an instructor member in good standing, or
- a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- 18 years old
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months.
- Certified diver for six months.
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- General Standards and Procedures
- Risk Management
- Marketing Diving
- Start Diving
- Teaching PADI Specialty Diver Courses
- Business of Diving
- Keep Diving
- How to Teach the Recreational Dive Planner (RDP)
- Course Orientation
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Knowledge Development Teaching Presentation 1 and 2
- 4 Es Counseling Workshop 1
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Skills Demonstrations Workshop
- Confined Water Teaching Presentation 1 and 2
- Conducting Open Water Dives
- Open Water Teaching Presentation 1
- Diver Rescue Assessment
- Present two knowledge development teaching presentations, scoring a minimum of 3.5 on at least one.
- Present two confined water teaching presentations, scoring a minimum of 3.4 on at least one.
- Present one integrated (two skills) open water teaching presentation, scoring a minimum of 3.4 on each skill.
- Perform all 24 dive skills in the Skill Evaluation, scoring a minimum of 82 total points, with no individual score below 3.
- Score 75 percent on the PADI Systems, Standards and Procedures Exam and have any missed questions reviewed until mastery is achieved. Retest candidates scoring less than 75 percent.
- Complete the PADI Divemaster course – Diver Rescue assessment in open water.
- Present the knowledge development elaboration for any PADI Diver course under the instructor’s indirect supervision. The instructor personally assesses student knowledge development.
- Present initial skills training under the instructor’s direct supervision during confined water dives.
- Conduct open water surface skill evaluations during Open Water Diver course dives under the instructor’s indirect supervision.
- Teach and certify Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of an instructor.
- Independently teach the Project AWARE (nondiving) Specialty course.
- Independently teach the Coral Reef Conservation (nondiving) Specialty course.
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or confined water.
- Independently conduct Bubblemaker programs.
- Independently conduct PADI Seal Team AquaMissions.
- Teach and certify divers in specialty courses that don’t include dives after completing Specialty Instructor Training courses and earning Specialty Instructor ratings for such specialties.
- After completing the corresponding instructor training and earning Specialty Instructor ratings, conduct Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a PADI Instructor.
If your already a PADI Divemaster and are interested in becoming a PADI Assistant Instructor please contact us for more information
Are you planning to dive in Cyprus this year? Want to take a PADI Course at Latchi Dive Centre?
You can complete your PADI Advanced Open Water Course, any other PADI course simply by getting in touch with Latchi Dive Centre. We are a PADI five star Dive Centre and the premier scuba diving centre in Latchi on the North West coast of Cyprus. We have the beautiful Akamas National Park at our doorstep. Other dive centres drive the length of Cyprus to dive here!
LATCHI DIVE CENTRE IS A PROUD MEMBER OF THE LATCHI WATERSPORTS FAMILY
Latchi dive centre at Latchi Watersports operates 3 dive boats every day. There are eight experienced and professional PADI dive staff. You can find us in the picturesque fishing harbour of Latchi. Along with their Watersports and Boat Hire office, they have two further beachfront Watersports operations located at La Plage and Anassa Beach.